Who are we?
There are no eligibility requirements for attending meetings of the Group, other than being male – and even that requirement isn’t always strictly enforced. (It’s not unknown for one or two ladies to gatecrash a Men’s Group event in which they have a particular interest, and occasionally women are invited to attend an event of general interest.)
The regular group consists of men with some connection to Peebles Baptist Church, whether members or not, and some other guys who don’t go to Church but enjoy meeting up. All are equally welcome.
What do we do?
We meet to:
- Listen to talks, sometimes by Group members, sometimes by visiting speakers. Topics have included job talks, testimony, hobby talks, and our Desert Island Discs;
- Watch demonstrations. We have been shown how to make stained glass pictures, seen how clocks work by clockwork and watched with tongues hanging out as a Sri Lankan curry was cooked before our eyes (then we ate it);
- See film shows. We have enjoyed a variety of films and Powerpoint presentations, on topics such as Peebles Wartime Memories, How Flight Works, Heraldry, History of Glentress Forest, Clouds, and the amazing work done by various Missions and charities abroad;
- Do stuff! We have hard landscaped the Manse garden. Following on from the magnificent dinner we provided for a few lucky ladies from the Church some years ago, andour regular catering for the February Fling Oot (annual Church sale) to raise funds for charity, our best chefs are going to be cooking up Summer barbecues once a month after Church services. We have gone for Summer walks, some on the level (riverside, seaside and historic town walks), some more challenging (the Pentlands, the John Buchan Way), and some in between (Gala Policies, Penicuik estate). Other outings have included a guided tour of the Scottish Parliament and tour around the World Press Photo Exhibition, and bird-watching with the Estate Ranger at Newhailes;
- Discuss what we would like to do in the future – any ideas welcome.
When do we do it?
Usually we meet in the evening, on the second Thursday of each month, with occasional variations in date to accommodate a speaker’s prior commitments. Longer walks might take place on a Sunday afternoon, or on a Saturday, so as to ensure we are finished before dark!