Spurgeon

Tell me about Spurgeon?

spurgeonch
C H Spurgeon
Charles Haddon Spurgeon was the most famous Baptist preacher of the nineteenth century. There are websites devoted specifically to him. For more information go to The Spurgeon Archive.Apart from his famous Church (see above) and College (see above), Charles Haddon Spurgeon also established a ministry for the care of children which is today known as Spurgeon’s Child Care.

 

Where is Spurgeon’s Church? … Metropolitan Tabernacle?

 

Metropolitan Tabernacle
Elephant and Castle
London SE1 6SD
tel: 020 7735 7076
Minister: Rev Peter Masters
Metropolitan Tabernacle
Sunday Services at 11am and 6.30pm

 

Charles Haddon Spurgeon’s London church (Spurgeon’s Tabernacle) built for him in 1856 is known today as the Metropolitan Tabernacle. This new church was built (completed in 1861) to replace first London church (New Park Street Chapel) which proved to be too small for the congregations who wanted to hear him preach.

The Metropolitan Tabernacle still stands on the west side of the Elephant and Castle roundabout, and (as stated above) at the northern end of Newington Butts. The 1876 photograph above may help you recognise it when you get there! The nearest Tube Station is the Elephant and Castle on the Bakerloo and Northern lines.

The Metropolitan Tabernacle is still a Baptist Church and services are held there every Sunday. But it is not a member of the Baptist Union of Great Britain nor a member of the London Baptist Association.

 

Where is Spurgeon’s College?

Spurgeon’s College is at 189 South Norwood Hill, London SE25 6DJ; tel: 020 8653 0853; fax: 020 8771 0959. The College can be seen on many maps of London – its site is just south of the junction of Grange Road and South Norwood Hill (the entrance is off South Norwood Hill).

Spurgeon’s College was founded by Charles Haddon Spurgeon in 1856 and for its early years was known as the “Pastor’s College”. It met at the Metropolitan Tabernacle from the opening of the Tabernacle in 1861 until 1923 when it moved to its present site in South Norwood Hill in South East London.