We want to be Good News on the South side of Peebles, and the planned facilities at the King’s Meadow are a key part of that aim.
So what does that mean in practice?
1: The King’s Meadow building is a home for Peebles Baptist Church and is a place of worship, fellowship and community for a rapidly expanding population in Peebles.
- Regular Sunday and midweek services, groups and activities that are open to all ages, contemporary, lively and relevant.
- Vicky’s Tea Room & Singing Together – regular group activities led by trained and supported volunteers that support older adults and people with dementia and long term conditions.
- Celebrate Recovery – weekly recovery group open to anyone with a ‘habit, hurt or hang-up’ led by trained group facilitators, following a 12 step evidence based programme.
- Alpha Course, Parenting Course, Marriage Prep course and other life courses.
- Men’s and women’s groups with opportunities to do social, educational, active and fun things in groups, with regular times of meeting as ‘open to both men and women’ groups!
- Lunch-n-chat type events, coffee and cake mornings – led by volunteers open to people of all ages in the community to drop by and have a low cost meal or refreshments, plus the social benefits that are delivered by such activities.
- Activities and groups for children and young people, including a regular JAM club on Sunday mornings, summer play events in the building and at the garden. Development of a youth group in year 1 of the building being erected.
2: The King’s Meadow Community Garden allows people of all ages to work together to grow produce, to meet, to share and to create abundance from nothing.
- Raised beds and other growing and green space are available to groups and members of the public.
- Community BBQ area and space for social events.
- Groups with particular needs or interests can use the space e.g adults with learning disabilities, people with mental health problems.
- Kids area to play, do craft, and forest-school equivalent activities outdoors.
3: The King’s Meadow project supports the use and development of Victoria Park for regular park users and for the whole community.
- Provide a W.C. in the lower area of the building that is accessible for groups using the park, e.g. Peebles CAN, TweedLove, Skate Park etc.
- Changing spaces toilet for anyone with accessibility needs.
- Space to use coffee and tea making points and/or kitchen facilities to cater for park events.
- Drop in weekly groups for soup and a roll, for coffee and cake, or for after school homework club, or lunchtime ‘safe’ space for pupils from the High School.
- Provision of much needed space in rooms and a hall for groups and activities on the South side of Peebles.
4: The King’s Meadow building aims to be an open, welcoming venue with low cost rooms for community groups and organisations.
- Use of rooms by organisations who need low cost space including Peeblesshire FoodBank.
- Low cost room hire for community groups.
- Set up of a committee of users of the building to enable good governance and a sense of community buy-in.
- Volunteering and possible employment opportunities for cleaning, maintenance and care-taking of the building.
Leave a Reply